Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What is your passion?

Have you heard the news!? Michael Phelps will be competing in his first event in two years. Two years ago he dominated the London Olympics, and I cheered him on just as I did in previous Olympics. He is an incredible athlete whose passion for the sport is clearly evident. When he said he was retired two years ago, I said to my husband "I hope he has another passion, because having nothing to drive toward is not going to sit well with him." Well, he's taking the first steps back, just like I thought! 


Good luck in Arizona, Phelps! Sorry Lochte. 

What do you do when you are unable to fill your passion? During this stage of pregnancy my runs have become less and less frequent. I get out about 2-3 times a week, but more often like 1-2 times a week these days. I LONG for long runs (Even five miles!), the return of runger, the feeling of wearing compression socks on a Saturday afternoon (Not because of pregnancy symptoms!). As I watched the 60 Minutes piece on Shalane Flanagan, I got teary eyed and started crying when they showed a video clip of a finish line filled with cowbells and well wishers. For the first time since before the Philly marathon, I actually missed 26.2. You KNOW I've got the running itch bad if I'm missing that beast!


I love you Shalane. That is all.

Today, our running community remembers the passion we all have with special significance. Today we remember the day when they tried to destroy a sacred place: the finish line. Today we continue to live "Boston Strong" as a community that won't back down, that will run united, that will wield their passion to inspire others. Today I am going to take time to reflect on what the run has given me. I won't remember the marathon of tears, the pain of tempo runs, or the chaffing of summer training. Today I will remember the finish line, what I've learned on my journeys to get there, and how I can't wait to get back there. Here's a beautiful collection of survivor's portraits reminding us that the passion to thrive lives on.



How about you? What is your passion? Will you be doing a special run today? Did you participate in any of the One Fund runs? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: