Monday, March 18, 2013

It's race week! For real!

Note: Sorry about the confusion, folks! Many friends thought I was running the NYC Half Marathon this weekend...nope! I did not join the PR City bonanza! CONGRATS TO ALL MY LOVELY FRIENDS WHO DOMINATED THIS WEEKEND! FYI, I am running the Allstate 13.1 NYC Half Marathon in my hometown borough of Queens! Yippee!

This week at church, I was struck by an old hymn. Mr. Miller and I had "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" sung at our wedding. It is a beautiful hymn written by an American composer, and we both love it dearly. It is truly a poetic tribute. As we sang it at my church, the singer reminded us of what an Ebenezer was...but I actually remembered what it meant from college! Here's the excerpt I'm referring to:

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.


Ebenezer refers to a memorial stone placed in remembrance of a great victory. However, that wasn't the stone's only purpose. It was also set to remind the people of where they had come from. I reflected on this idea later in the day, as all my friends were PR'ing every which way, and had a feeling of contentment. There has been a long journey from my first 13.1 in 2009 to my goal race coming up this weekend. This journey has included 5 half marathons, two marathons, and lots of training in between. 

So, here's my Ebenezer:








So, there you have it, my Ebenezer. This is what I've been through. It is by God's great help I've come. I'm excited to celebrate my victory on Saturday. The encouragement I've been receiving from friends and family has been overwhelming. I'm anticipating a great race. I'm excited for a great race. I'm nervous, yet ready. I guess that's the best place to be.



How about you? What is your "Ebenezer"? Do you have one race or many races that tell your story? Did you race this weekend? Celebrate St. Patrick's Day? TELL ME ABOUT IT! 


4 days until the 13.1 NYC Sub 2 or Bust Bonanza!
5 days until traveling to P.R. with a PR!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I did a whole lot of nothing last weekend, Matt is on midnights and we usually sleep and run, that's it.