Saturday, March 23, 2013

Allstate 13.1 NYC Race Recap: So what? I'm still a rock star.

I got my rock moves. That's right. I finished my 6th half marathon! Now, this post could be sad and sullen because, spoiler alert, I didn't go sub 2. However, I didn't cry during the run, so that's a plus. Also, I'm going to Puerto Rico tomorrow, so this recap will be as positive as it can be in light of crushing all my hopes and dreams...okay, in light of crushing my aspirations after my hard work in this training cycle ;-).

I started off the day by meeting up with some friends. Kim picked me up with Beth, and we drove to the race. I also met up with my coworker and running partner extraordinaire Kristin. We did the usual, check our bags, hide out in the (Warm) charity tent, used the facilities, and suddenly made our way to the start. (Kim ran the 5k a bit earlier, go Kim!)


 See, she really does exist! And her number was 111! 

When we got to the start, I was SO nervous. I had been nervous all morning, but the wind had made me more nervous. I kept trying to calm myself down, but I couldn't shake my anxiety. I tried to channel that into my running. I met Ashley at the start after she ran three miles to tack on to her training run. All of a sudden, it was go time.

The first 5 miles were awesome. I was maintaining my pace, even on a hill, and felt really good. I was zoned out to my music as planned, and I was loving my mix! However, around mile 5.5, we rounded the corner of a lake and BAM. Wind. in. the. face. I knew it was windy, and had been slightly battling it, but seriously!? I felt like I was standing still. My pace remained decent, and fought through to get to a non 20mph section! I can't remember if this was the first half or not, but I'm coming down from a pretty steep climb:

One of the reasons I was able to fight through that wind? (Besides Ashley trying to run in front of me to block some wind....incredible.) Some amazing cheerleaders. Kim and her friend donned Mickey hands and livened up a pretty dead spectator turnout. I think it was worse because it was so cold, but these ladies owned those Mickey Hands!


As I plowed through the second half of the race, I was still confident I could get a solid PR. My Facebook update said that at mile 8.7 I was projected to finish at 1:59:27. Well, that would have been A-O-K with me. However, we had to go around that lake again. Around mile 10 my hamstrings also cramped up, which obviously didn't help anything whatsoever. I kid you not. That route around the lake took my soul. I walked three times. I was talking to myself. I was praying. It got really ugly out there. I REFUSED to cry. I would NOT repeat Philly, where I lost it strength wise AND mental wise and began to cry out of frustration, aka using even MORE energy. I pushed myself, repeated my positive thoughts and Bible verses to myself, and went for it as my body would allow. Finally, I plowed up my last hill.
 I felt like I was walking. Also, this lady TOTALLY stole my thunder.

At mile 11, I was on the Edge of Glory.

At mile 12, I got mad. I got mad when I saw that my watch was inevitability going to cross the 1:59:59 barrier and my finish time would have a 2 at the beginning. I got mad that I walked. I just flat out got mad. What song came on? Blow Me One Last Kiss. Pink, girl, you said it. I finally had enough. I think I maybe think to much. So this race? I blew it one last kiss and said so long. I powered toward the finish. I could see the shoot. I was ready for whatever time my legs had so wonderfully given me.

Anything could happen. I ran to my finish song with a smile on my face, ready to cross those sensor pads. As I crossed the finish line, I had no idea what my time was, and I was okay with that. I bent over because I felt like throwing up. Suddenly I had to kneel down. As I sat there, completely deflated of energy, I said a prayer thanking God for legs to run with, water to hydrate myself, and food to eat. I stood up feeling 100% better. In fact, I skipped to get my medal, hugged the girl who gave it to me, and basically danced through leaving the finish! People were joining in, although they were missing out on my HOT finish line jam.

Official Finish: 2:05:07 Previous PR 2:06:34

This is me in an awkward medal photo, it looks like I'm strangling myself. Also, my hair is whipping in the wind. Sheesh. Hot mess central!

I met up with my awesome friends the Slafters, and we all headed to the beer garden! Thankfully the beer garden was INSIDE and warm, with free Michelob Ultra for all us carb devoid runners (???). It was perfect! I was also excited that I got to show them the 5 Borough Panorama, it is seriously the coolest thing in the world and a must see.


Afterwards we went to Queens Comfort, our FAVORITE restaurant! I had the most incredible mac and cheese, and hung out with the most incredible friends.

 This was indeed as delicious as it looks.
 We had some medal malfunctions, apparently they can attach themselves to true love!
 I love this man. He has been my support and my rock. 
 And this man in the leopard jacket? Well, let's just say, this is part of his usual shenanigans. 

Now all that's left to do is head to PR (Puerto Rico!) with a PR! It may not have been the number I was hoping for, but it was still a PR. I will not have race regret. I will not look back and think of the should have's and would have's. I will learn from this, grow from this, and take pride in the fact that I completed another half marathon. No time for losers. We are the champions.

Also, this weather forecast helps things:
That's right PR, get the rain out now. Nothing but sun from here on out!

CONGRATULATIONS to all the runners who finished strong today!!!

How about you? Have you ever had a goal race slip from your feet? Did you race this weekend (Specifically anyone in CT do the Sandy Hook run? Heard it was 17,000 runners strong!) Did you eat yummy food this weekend? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Kristin!!! I'm so proud of you! Enjoy your much deserved vacation, get nice and tan, and I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

I felt the same struggle and disappointment in Rehoboth, but there was nothing I could do about my random nausea, but I was so glad to still have a PR and to have finished fighting. Great job, friend!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on that PR! I know missing your goal time is tough. I missed a 2:10 finish at Rock and Roll Philly last fall by 3 minutes because I totally bonked at mile 8. You will get that sub 2! Have a great vacation!

Danielle said...

First of all, congrats on a new PR!

I chased the sub 2 half for a long, long time. And I failed many times before getting it, so I know how you feel. Keep fighting for it, you're going to get there! And your victory will be all the more sweet knowing you worked harder than most other people for the finish.

Enjoy PR!

Christine said...

Congrats on the New PR! No sweat for not reaching your A goal. It gives you something to continue to work towards. Maybe you'd want to come upstate and run one the weekend of May 19th?? (It's called Make it a Great day!) Have a wonderful time in PR!!

Anonymous said...

You are most definitely still a rockstar and have your rock moves! I'm SO SO proud of you my friend! You ran a good race and finished strong. No tears and you never gave up! That shows how strong you are! That sub-2 will most definitely be yours soon! Congratulations on a great race and shiny, new PR! Now, enjoy PR ;)

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

congrats on a shiny new PR! sub 2 is so so hard. I've done it twice and today I couldn't do it again. I think you do AMAZING especially considering you had some issues at the end. I have no doubt you will get the sub 2 and soon. I hope you have a great trip, you deserve it. You are a rockstar to me, no matter what!

Kim said...

Congrats on the PR! Dang, that sounds like a tough course with the hills... and the wind sure didn't help! So happy you still had a great day! And have a great time in PR! :)

Anonymous said...

hey Congrats!!! the lake route (twice) was no joke! the wind was BRUTAL!!! you still PR'd AND your heart at the end, being thankful for being able to run, water, and your joy is such an inspiration and reminder to all runners the beauty of what we get to do!!! have a whole lot of fun celebrating in PR!! =)

Jen said...

Congrats on the PR! I'm SO proud of you, that route looked so incredibly tough. I kept reading all these tweets about the wind, the course, etc. being kind of a disaster and I can't imagine how you plowed through all of it and kept going. Hope you enjoy your much-deserved vacation!

Meghan said...

Girl, you rocked it! You PR'd and I now there is a sub-2 in your future. Enjoy this time in the warm sunshine! You deserve it!

Danielle said...

Congrats on the PR! I ran this race also and the wind and cold really got to me the last few miles, I definitely started to slow down and couldn't feel my arms or hands at all.

Have a great time in Puerto Rico...totally jealous of that weather report!

Danielle said...

Oh, and totally loved the girls with the Mickey hands! My friends and I were pretending we were at a Disney race every time we ran by and gave them a high five!

Gianna said...

Congrats on the PR!! especially on that crazy windy cold day.

I have to say the ladies with giant hands gave me something to look forward to with so little crowd support - they were amazing (and pretty sure I yelled that each time!)

Have fun on vaca!

Mommy Run Fast said...

I've definetely had a goal race slip away toward the end... but awesome job! You still got your pr, and I know you have that sub-2 in you!

Bill Fine said...

a PR is a PR......and you did a great job under less-than-ideal conditions, so take pride and enjoy your PR in PR! :>)

Well done, Mrs. Miller!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pr. And a pr is a pr and it was a fantastic pr!! You're strong and you did it!

Jocelyn said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PR!!!

Suz and Allan said...

Congratulations on the PR Kristin! Hope you have a great time in Puerto Rico!