Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jury Duty: an active person's nightmare!

I really had no idea how active I am on a daily basis at work. I work in four different classrooms in a rather large school, so I am often moving from place to place, different floors, and walking around my classroom. In other words, I don't sit down for long.

Enter: Jury Duty. This requires sitting. A LOT of sitting. So much in fact, when the jurors in my group had to sit outside the courtroom yesterday for two hours while lawyers battled it out with a judge, I started pacing the halls. I may have looked like a weirdo, but I had to move! I tried walking on my lunch break, but I am unfamiliar with this neighborhood and didn't feel safe traveling too far. So, here I am, a rural juror hating the constant sedentary lifestyle!

I want Jack McCoy to show up! RIP law & Order

Ever since I was a kid I was obsessed with decorative ceilings in old buildings. I blame the Bushnell in Hartford, CT!

Despite walking around the neighborhood in search of soup and salad that I was craving, Subway was the only remotely healthy option! This neighborhood presented another challenge: not eating fried food, because that's what every other place was (think Popeyes and McDonalds). I finally settle on a turkey 6" and couldn't resist the baked BBQ lays!


So, today, I packed my lunch! Treating it like any other work day, except I added and an ice pack to my bag since I'm sans refrigerator. Egg salad with ranch, avocado, cracked pepper, mixed greens and tomatoes!



There is one small silver lining in this whole situation: I have a bit of extra time to run in the morning! This morning was the BEST; light snow fall, nothing too slippery, and a park FULL of runners with big grins on their faces. Oh, and there were some yellow labs and golden retrievers playing in the snow. That made my morning!


How about you? Have you done jury duty before? Any good stories about getting out of it? Don't you wish Olivia Benson was your friend!? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Edited to add: I am free! I have "fulfilled my civic duty" by being a potential juror, sent back to the pool of jurors, and then was given my release letter at the end of the day! Two days in and I'm thankful to be done. Back to moving and shaking as a teacher! I will wear my Nike Fuel band tomorrow, because I was too embarrassed to wear it the last couple of days!!!

7 comments:

Maureen said...

I've only had jury duty one time. I got called for federal jury duty right when I graduated college and spent a very rainy Valentine's Day sitting around the courthouse. I was lucky that I only had to go one day, but it was the longest day ever!

Karen said...

I had jury duty the day after my second half marathon. It was so uncomfortable sitting all day. I got up to stretch every chance I got, but wow, it was no fun.

Emily @ FitMamaInTheCity said...

Well jury duty sounds no fun at all.... But I do LOVE those shoes you've got!

Meghan said...

I am SO with you, girl! I cannot stand sitting still! I admire you for packing a lunch and trying to make the experience as normal as possible!

Christine said...

I've been called for jury duty a few times but haven't actually reported yet. (extensions) They love teachers though because they know we are usually unbiased. Every time I go to Montessori training I feel your pain, I sit in lectures all day and it is painful. I use a fitbit and take on average over 5,000 steps just at work. Glad you fulfilled your civic duty !

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kim @ a positive peace said...

okay but did you get to read a lot? i am so excited about my jury duty (that i postponed to april) but i also really want to get picked for a jury and be on a cool case!! i'm applying for law school in the fall so this might be my last chance to ever be on a jury!!

(ps - i walk at least 3 miles every day between my schools and classrooms ....i cannot imagine just sitting all day! pacing it is!)