Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When marathon training runs don't happen

Do you ever have one of those days? Days where there is no REAL reason for you not to run? Days where there is no injury preventing you from running? Days where you just simply don't feel like it? Well, yesterday was definitively one of those days. I had 5 tempo miles on the agenda, and they didn't happen. I slept in, did housework, avoided avoided avoided. I stressed about all I had to do before we leave for vacation Thursday morning, and only got a small amount done. Then, suddenly, it was time to go to Bryant Park to secure my blanket on a patch of grass!

There's no friends in war...NYC space war!

Bryant Park movies always does a NYCer good. It's been a yearly tradition to go at least once a year for the past six years. Our first one we saw was The Birds, it was fantastically creepy because the movie contains NO music. Last night we went with our Cancun Crew to see All About Eve, which I had never seen and loved. While experiencing this fantastic NYC summer event is always fun, I didn't get home until 11:30pm.

All About Even in Bryant Park

Today had 7 miles on the agenda. I woke up at 9am, blamed Lambeau Puppy for his superb snuggle skills, and determined I was going to run later. After texting a few friends, all of whom were either not running or had been a morning faithful, I sat down to think about my options. With vacation coming up, I knew that if this feeling of slothiness stayed, it would be even more difficult to train. I determined that my schedule needed some, some "tweaking". (You've Got Mail fans? Anyone?)

The Snuggle Pro Himself

So, this week's New York City Marathon schedule has been tweaked. Today I ran 3 easy miles to remind my legs what they're supposed to do when I lace up my Nike Pomegranates. Tomorrow morning I will complete my (originally slated for the weekend) long run: 13.1 miles. This will allow me to shift my 5 tempo and 7 easy miles to later in the week, when I'll be running through scenic routes bound to get my drive to run in high gear. 

Hopefully everything will even out at the end of the week. Mind you, I love to exercise on vacation. Last year, in fact, I ran everyday! One rest day I biked a bit then ran a mile. Hey. It counts! Although I love running, the environmental factors pose a challenge in the beach community I'm in; no shade and it gets super hot super fast. Last year's 12 miles started just after 5:30am and I almost didn't finish because I was so hot. So, I'm going to run 13.1 miles tomorrow like a champion and enter my week and a half vacation with the peace of mind that I completed my long run already!
Maybe when I finish I'll take photos in this Olympic Team USA jacket? Oh, wait, it's $450.

The moral of this post? It's okay to miss a few runs. It happens. However, you do have to pick yourself up by your shoe laces and run a few miles. Last year I got a no running for a week stomach bug during the third or fourth week of training for the marathon. I thought my marathon running world was over. It wasn't. Guess what? I finished it and had a great training cycle. So if you find yourself in a slump, adjust, and plod on plod on plod on. In the words of my professor: "The bend in the road is the end of the road if you fail to make the curve."

Sidenote: I know many people who are injured right now, and you all are making me realize that it's a get to run not a have to run. I think I just did too much this weekend and I'm tired.  I'm cheering you all on and I'll have you in my thoughts as I pound the pavement, wishing you speedy recoveries!

Do you ever have days when you just don't feel like running? Do you get overwhelmed by packing/cleaning before a vacation? Are you not running because of Shark Week?Have you felt guilty about missing marathon training runs? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

81 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

5 comments:

Meghan said...

I love your new header photos, btw!

I think it's perfectly normal to not want to run. Sometimes we all just need a break:)

Beth @RxBethOnTheRun said...

I definitely go through this. I went through something very similar last week until I made Stacy from Will Run For Glitter SHAME me out the door to run. Seriously. I made her text me in the morning to make SURE I finally got out there to run. I think it's totally normal. And if you're like me, you're just SICK of this heat and humidity. I LOVE what your professor said! And I promise, I'm not missing runs because of shark week ;)

Suz and Allan said...

Watching a movie in Bryant Park looks like an amazing experience!

Danielle said...

Yeah, there are some days where I just don't feel like running. Or exercising in general. But since I'm a pretty motivated person and truly enjoy working out, I see this as my body's warning signal, telling me to rest. My motivation usually comes back the next day or the day after.

But when winter comes and I start skipping my runs because it's cold outside, please remind me to get my butt out there ;)

Kathryn said...

I'm facing this problem this week - my work schedule and vacation-prep are colliding and I'm not going to be able to get in all of my training runs for the first time this training cycle.

I keep trying to tell myself that missing 6 miles isn't going to do me in but I am such a perfectionist that it is REALLY bothering me that I'm going to not hit my goal this week.