Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday Food Section: What's in Your Fridge?

Happy Sunday Funday! This summer I've decided to use my reading of periodicals to good use and post some great things that I've been reading about in magazines and articles online. Last week's People Magazine featured a fantastic article with Dr. Oz. Although I'm not that familiar with him (Not a regular viewer of Oprah or his show), I know most people love him. This article detailed Dr. Oz's dedication to healthy living after transitioning from eating "any food" to "healthy food". Below are Dr. Oz's 5 Things You Should Have in your Fridge, Pantry, and Medicine Cabinet. See how you measure up!

Miller Fridge: 3 out of 5. I don't drink fresh juice because I put a banana into a smoothie? I also don't have wheat germ. Looks like I'll be testing this out this week!


Miller Pantry: 5 out of 5. WOOHOO! I just got flax seed two weeks ago, and I have to say it has definitely been a great source of fiber. If you're looking for a good steel cut oat, Trader Joe's has an instant one which cuts the preparation time in half!
Miller Medicine Cabinet: 2 out of 5. Uh oh. Someone stopped their vitamin d and calcium regimen. I'll be starting that up soon, especially with marathon training starting, oh, tomorrow! Last year during my training I religiously took all my vitamins and felt amazing. I have to get back on the v-wagon. 


This article hit home for me; literally. Although I consider myself a person who cooks healthy things, I tend to buy treats and justify them. However, I haven't been doing that as of late. Recently a friend came to my house post work out, and when I went to offer a snack I opened my fridge to which they responded, "Oh my gosh, it's all so healthy!" (I guess that's the response when almond milk and hard boiled eggs are the only post workout options!) Recently, my husband has been on an intense fitness journey. Here is our picture from last July 4th:



Here was our picture today:

By combining a lifestyle of a high protein low calorie diet with exercise, my husband has gotten into the best shape of his life. Today we went on a 10k run together; he pushed me the entire way, and I got a PR by almost 3 minutes. He was breezing through the whole thing. I am so proud of him for being dedicated to working out daily, sticking to a healthy diet, and pushing me to join him in this journey. Dr. Oz's 5 Things are a great way to start taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle. 


How did you score on the 5 Things? Did you do great in the fridge? Horrible in the medicine cabinet? Ace the test? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

No comments: