Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday Food Section: Olympics Edition

Can we say HELLO LONDON OLYMPICS 2012?! I am SO excited for opening ceremonies this Friday!!! So, do you wonder what track stars like Ryan Hall or Kara Goucher eat to fuel for a race?! So glad you asked!!! In the June 2012 issue of Competitor Magazine, they featured runners headed for Olympic glory and what they eat. Be sure to check out their website; I had never heard of it until Mr. Miller brought me home an issue. Love their site, check it out!


Ryan Hall, what do you eat?


Clearly Mr. Hall has a healthy idea of what to eat. I have tried brown rice pasta, and it really does taste like whole wheat pasta. He has a high protein diet which is great for fuel, energy and recovery. I am intrigued by the idea of breaking up a pre-race dinners into two parts. The night before my marathon last November I could barely eat my DELICIOUS dinner. I ended up having a snack later that night.


Kara Goucher, what do you eat?




Ms. Goucher, you surprised me. With so many fitness gurus touting "clean eating" and staying away from artificial flavors, Kara seems to eat what she likes! Fancy that! I hear you on the nachos, girl. Last year I had two pieces of pizza post marathon; they were heavenly. 


Want to see more on what elite athletes eat? Check out what a gluten free Elite Athlete, a vegan Elite Athlete, and a not so average sized runner eat to fuel for a race. 


What do I eat? 
Pre-race dinner: Pasta with chicken and and broccoli rabe. Bread because I can't resist it.
Race Day Breakfast: Bagel with peanut butter. This may be switching to oatmeal with banana and peanut butter.
Race Fuel: Gel 15 minutes before start, one every 4-5 miles. 2-3 electrolyte pills every 60 minutes. Eat half a thunder bar at miles 12 and 20. I grabbed a banana around 22 I think!
Post-Race: WATER, Recoverite shake by Hammer, banana and nuts.
Post-Race Treat: Something with a LOT of calories (Pizza was perfect) and a couple of adult beverages! This year may or may not include empanadas, but it will probably be pizza again.


How about you? What do you eat for Pre-race, Race Day Breakfast, Race Day, Race fuel, Post-Race and Post-Race treat?! Tell me about it! I need some good ideas, especially for post-race treat!


104 days until the ING NYC MARATHON!!!

1 comment:

Krysten Siba Bishop said...

So crazy! I am trying to be more of a Ryan I guess! So cool!