Thursday, January 5, 2012

I tried Hot Yoga

...and all I got was a sweaty tank top.

This is me before hot yoga:
I was full of anxiety and curiosity. I do NOT do well in heat. Ever. Just walking ten minutes to the train in 85 degree weather dehydrates me! I always carry a huge nalgene during the warmer months, but always end up buying another bottle of water if I'm out for a few hours. So, obviously hot yoga wouldn't be my first choice. However, the Yogi I spoke with a couple of weeks ago claimed it's not like "hot and humid NYC in the summer", and that the yoga moves are actually easier to do because you're warmer. Hmmm. Figured I'd give it a whirl. I took my edurolyte pills just in case, brought a nalgene filled with a lot of ice and a little water. Okay, I'm dry in a tank and shorts in January. Let's do this.

This is me after hot yoga:
SOAKED TO THE BONE. I was soaked in sweat ten minutes in. At first the heat felt nice, then it felt strong, then it felt overwhelming as we did a never ending series of stand then butt to the floor squats. I had to step out of the room for a 30 second breather. I get dizzy just from standing up too quickly sometimes, so that was a bit much for me to handle. We did a lot of balancing, lunges and warriors, and of course, downward dogs!

The verdict is in: I think I liked it. It was a huge challenge for me. It really pushed me to focus and evaluate if I was being a sissy or dizzy ;-) Really though, it's significantly faster paced than the normal yoga (cold yoga?!), with upbeat music. It felt like a normal fitness class with dimmer lights and higher temps. Also, it worked out the kinks from the Pilates class yesterday...I was definitely sore today! I googled how many calories you burn in hot yoga, and they say an hour burns 575! I will go again. Next up: Hot Pilates Saturday!

Why all the new classes? I got Groupons for after the marathon, and they expire in February. I got the flu after the marathon, then a kidney infection, then a two week cold, then a death in the family. Really, these Groupons were burning a hole in my pocket and I'm so glad to be using them!

I ran 3.5 miles this morning too. The streak continues of at least one mile a day! I didn't want to wake up, but I knew I would be going to yoga this afternoon and would not want to put miles in. I went to the gym and pounded out some good ones.

Dinner was great tonight, too. Whole wheat pasta, spinach, sauteed chicken with garlic and red pepper, and marinara sauce. I figured since I did my second consecutive two-a-day, I could have a nicely measured cup of pasta with the yummy goodness of spinach and chicken! Mmmm.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and I'm excited for it.

Have you tried anything new lately? TELL ME ABOUT IT! Is there anything you would like to try? What are your thoughts on hot yoga???

Running and Cross training my way because it's...
48 days until Cancun and Winter Polka Dot Bikini!!!
79 Days until the 13.1 NYC half marathon!!!

2 comments:

Kels said...

I've never tried Hot Yoga! They don't offer it at my gym :( maybe I should bug them with comment cards suggesting it! haha

Kim said...

I would LOVE to try hot yoga. The only thing 'new' I've tried lately is getting back to running...yay! And hoola hooping! Love it.