Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011: The Year of the Marathon

First order of business: Cute Christmas photo!
Christmas Jammies are the BEST! Ella Bella was feeling sickies, but thankfully she perked up to open some gifts. Evan was so excited for everything. They are such sweeties. My youngest niece and nephew. Disclaimer to my fellow McAuliffe siblings: I love all my nieces and nephews equally.

2011 Goals Recap: I was the 1%. They say about 1% of Americans will run a marathon in their lifetime. I saw some calculations via googling, but really, we're all just estimating here. Let's go with 1%, it's more ironic that way! Anyway, I listed one main goal: running a marathon. CHECK YEA! It happened. I completed my "New Years Resolution", "2011 Goals" etc! Now, mind you, I only set one goal, because a marathon often takes up that much energy (As I've learned...). I had started setting up monthly goals but somehow tapered off (Who would taper off from goals???), so I think I will reinstate that for 2012. So, here goes the 2011 reflections that you've all been waiting for!

In August 2010 I purchased this bumper magnet:

I thought 2010 was my year. I was 26. I was going to run 26.2 miles in the Hartford Marathon. However, it just wasn't in me then. I got a slight injury, a set back here and there, and suddenly I was out of contention to successfully and safely complete a marathon, my first at that.

Insert charity entry. After not getting in to the NYC Marathon through the lottery, I harassed Juan at Team World Vision until I received that AWESOME call: "You're IN!" Amazing. Thrilling. Holy schnikies. This was really happening!

Training began. Countless runs into Central Park. Up at 5am to run before the heat. I got to know the pavement. Running home from school to get longer miles in midweek before dark. Things got serious. I even tried yoga! It was an amazing summer and an amazing fall. Successfully running 20 miles for the first time was the most exhilarating and exciting accomplishment of my training. Proud face below:

Speaking of fall 2011: I ran a marathon on 11/6/11. It was a truly amazing day. Everything worked perfectly. Weather, gear, fueling, fans, family and friends support: PERFECTION.

On November 6, 2011, I became a marathon FINISHER. And I got the medal to PROVE IT!
2011 was just the beginning. Just as the sign below said, I'm only at the start. 2012 looks to be amazing. 2011 was the year of Finishing. Finishing training. Finishing the long runs. Finishing fundraising. Finishing.a.marathon.
When I run, I run to finish. I wonder what I will finish in 2012? Prospective goals coming soon. Until then, if you don't think you're the best, you're not the best.
You're the best if you give your all to something, succeed or fail. In 2011, I was the best I could be.

I will be my best in 2012.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Wow! Congrats on being part of an amazing group of strong people who finished a marathon! That is truly something great. Good luck with your goals in 2012.