Monday, April 4, 2011

Half Marathon recap

I was ready to conquer the world at the original location of The World's Fair in Flushing, NY. Got to the race at a nice 8:15am, with a start time of 9:13am that was uncharacteristically late, but I knew the layout and it was a 15 minute drive from my apartment...plus my AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL husband was going to be bored waiting around for me, so I compromised ;-)
This was our Team World Vision from our church, Forefront Church! YAHOO! Go fundraisers go! Thank you again for all who donated. It was incredibly generous of you.

So I finally realized that I need to hit new lap to clock my miles individually. Oops. So I don't have a mile breakdown time wise, but I do have a fabulous monologue to give you a wonderful depiction of this difficult race.

Weather: Sunny, around 45 degrees. Felt colder in the shade, HOTTER in the sun!
Time: Race started at 9:13am
Where: Flushing-Corona Meadow Park
Distance: 13.1 (Or 13.3 if you had a Garmin to tell you the TRUE DISTANCE!)

Recap:
Miles 1-4: ROCKING. My music was INCREDIBLE (Thank you Chris Brown Kiss Kiss pandora) Most times when I looked at my watch, it was in the 8's; 8:20, 8:40, etc. I saw my husband, which made everything wonderful. I also saw a co-worker!!!
Miles 5-8: Ok, maybe I was over zealous with my speedy gonzalez legs which are not usually so speedy gonzalez...and I saw an old student! He freaked out and said, "Ms. Miller?!" It took a few seconds for it to click, I finally returned with, "Hi Kevin!"
Miles 9-12: Kill. Me. Now. My blisters started stinging. Like really stinging. I started running oddly to avoid them, but had to return back to my normal gait. It hurt. A lot. Saw husband at mile 12, and thankfully he had my water for a mid mile hydrate. I was thirsty. Not a good sign.
Mile 13-13.3: Angry, for the second year in a row, the race is longer than it should be. Such a horrible mind game which always results in me slowing down to finish.

DONE!

Time: 2:10, 9:58/mile for 13.1 miles, not 13.3
PR: 2:06
Previous times:
2:17 (First 1/2 marathon)
2:29 (1/2 marathon when I had a bronchial infection...not smart.)

And now for some photos:

All business
Brian taking in the local sites. These were used in Men in Black as the Roswell spaceships I think.

And now, a dedication to the songs (That I can remember) that got me through this race:

- Heya - Outkast
- All the Above - T. Pain
- Let's get it Started - Black Eyed Peas
- Double Your Pleasure Double Your Fun - Chris Brown
- Remember the Name - Fort Minor
- All of the Lights - Rihanna
- Oh Na Na - Rihanna
- Live Your Life - T.I.
- Watcha Say - Jason Darulo
- Stronger - Kanye West

And that's just a few. Thank you again to everyone for all your support! And now, my finish line video...haha...I was in pain:

2 comments:

Heather said...

YAYYY!!! Nice job girlie!! You did awesome :o) Kicking butt as always!

Unknown said...

Good run Kristin! Way to kill it out there!

PS - hate to say it, but Garmin is notorious for inaccuracy; I always gain a fraction each mile...tho I hear what you're saying - imagine 26.2mi looking (and feeling!) like 26.6! And when I run w/ others, even when we start in the exact same place at the exact same time, our miles never beep in together!

Miss you!
xol