Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 2: Half Marathon Training Part I

SOOOOOOO today was an odd day. I have been following this training schedule: http://www.runnersworld.com/charts/hallchart.html. It is a pretty easy training schedule, and when I saw it, I thought to myself, "Self, this will give you structure, and it's totally doable, DO IT." So, I've been doing it. We are now in Week 2 and today was a 5 x 1000 meter day. I was a bit confused by this at first, but the way it helps you is that it builds up your "start up" potential. You run 1000 meters (About .6 miles) and then walk for 1-2 min, and repeat that 5 times. It builds your stamina in case you have to stop, drink water, etc. during a race. At first I thought I wouldn't like it, and last Tuesday I just ran 3 miles straight through, but I did it today and could really feel myself building up and cooling down, it was definitely more work that I thought it would be! Plus this is still a "recovery" day from the long run I did Sunday. Mondays are nothing days, so I'm probably going to focus on pilates type moves or light weights.



Above is where I've been running!!! My parent's house in in this beach community in Virginia Beach called Sandbridge. Here http://siebertrealty.com/cgi-bin/previews09.pl?id=32708&unitfile=units2k9 is the link to look at the BEAUTIFUL home! My parents did some rennovations to the kitchen, and it looks great. We've really been enjoying spending time here, even though it's really cold and the beach isn't too enticing with the wind and low temps! But we've been working out and loving it. (I will not mention the awesome valentines day sugar cookies that keep finding their way to me with a cup of tea. That never happened. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!)

So, thus part one of 1/2 marthon training has been detailed for your reading delight! Anyone who wants to join my half marathon-ing just let me know!!! I know the race I want to run is April 26, but I plan to do a second one on August 30. If you want to run in it, my church is organizing a group to do it together. You can only register by March 1 because if you do, you dedicate any money you can raise to donate to cancer research. Otherwise, it's a hard marathon to get into so you get a guaranteed entry. Here is a link all about the race: http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_new_york_ny_city_half_marathon.html.

Till tomorrow! Give me your ideas, tips, etc!!!

No comments: