Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Testing Tuesday

*delayed posting was too busy and internet was on the fritz*

AHHHH all I do is test! test this test that for the past month! And I still have probably 2 weeks left of this blasted testing!

PHEW, glad we got that out of the way. I did a 5 mile run yesterday; I like to break it up, so I do 3 miles outside (for the tan) and 2 miles inside on a treadmill at my gym. Sarah asked if running 5 miles is hard to do. Well, yes. But after you do it once, you know you can do it again! I had a pretty good run yesterday, it was really hot and sunny which always makes me happy! I've run in 30 degree weather, NO FUN! My only frustration is that I get stuck at major intersections and the crossing sign takes forever to change, and therefore I'm stuck there for 2 minutes running in place! So I don't really have a good guage at how fast I am. I'd like to say it takes me a little under and hour to run 5 miles (For my 5 mile race last October my time was 52:14)


Here are some hints on running:

- SET A GOAL: If I'm running outside, I run to a place so that, when I run back, it'll equal the mileage I want to run. (i.e. if I want to run 3 miles, I run the 1 mile to the gym, 1 mile at the gym, and 1 mile back to my place.) Training for a race is also a good way to stay on track.


- BACK PROBLEMS: Not too sure about this. Stretching before always helps. A wise person once said, you run for about half a mile, stop, stretch, and run the rest of the way. Stretch after as well. Sometimes weight training can strain your back, as well as improper crunches.


-FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS: I run with music. That's my thing. Some like it, some don't. If you don't like running alone, try doing it with a partner. I like to think when I run, or pray, and it helps my mind stay disctracted that I'm totally hurting!!!


- DON'T OVERDO IT: If you're tired, rest. As Jenn C wisely said, "Don't be stupid, if you're exhausted take a break." If I find myself in that situation, that I'm totally tired, I make myself walk somewhere. Walking is still exercise despite popular belief!

Since I wrote this post yesterday, I did a three mile run at the gym which was good. Today is an off day - going to a yankee game!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm headed to the gym now hopefully I will do better I will keep you updated on how your long distance/blogger style coaching is improving my running

Dani said...

Hey Kristin!

It's Danielle Hugo (Tavares)! HOw are you! I got to your blog from Sarah's :-) You can get to mine from Sarah's as well...Hope your doing well!